Friday, September 4, 2009

SICK - yech!

Been out sick for four days and I do not deal well with this. It is hard to do work from home due to lack of focus and being sick. It is hard not to do anything either.

Now on my third antibiotic in a month. Three weeks ago, I had a couple of insect bites that really swelled up on me. I asked our secretary about whether I should see the nurse, and before you could say boo, both of them had shipped me off to the clinic in the Science Park. This is a government run facility for simple things that operates as part of the infrastructure of the Science Park, including things like a grocery store, a bank, a travel agency, an employment agency, etc. So I go to the clinic, they check me out and give me an antihistamine for the swelling and an antibiotic in case there is some infection.

One week later, I am feeling like I have a urinary infection. This I think I can handle with lots of extra fluids, normal exercise, and rest. Fine for the weekend, then Monday starts the chills and fever. So Tuesday, back to the clinic, this time for another antibiotic. Oh - and I should note for my US friends, that the cost of the clinic visit, exam, and drugs, is about $15.

Home sick - fever abates with the antibiotic but urinary infection continues. So today, we travel to China Medical University Hospital where the system is pretty amazing. Teresa has been here before so we know some of the ropes. You have an appointment, sign in on the first floor in registration (or let the English speaking information desk people help you sign in), then go to the doctor's office listed in the email with your appointment and wait for your number to come up (on a board outside his/her door). Almost all doctors speak English by the way. A nurse helps shuttle patients in and out as well as manage the flow of files and orders. Physical exam, laboratory tests (where you take an order form to the lab, leave your sample, and then return to the doctor for the results - all data is kept electronically), lunch break, doctor consultation, longer dose of antibiotics, return visit scheduled (and paid for) to the doctor with followup testing (all included in the original bill). All this costs about $75. And they are apologizing for having to charge me so much because I do not have the National Health Insurance card which would drop that by about 90%. I'll talk more about being sick, but man, do we ever need health care reform and now!

So still sick, on more antibiotics, but feeling not too bad all considering. I certainly have nothing to complain about. The system works. And with my brother-in-law recovering from radiation and chemo (light), I thank God for all the miracles small and large.

No comments: